Thursday, February 18, 2010

Paint faux idea for my living room?

Hi,





I just bought an old house and it needs lots of updating.





I would like to paint faux my walls green and my celing red either a red yellow or red orange or plan red.





Is it wrong to do two differt colors liie that will it look good?





Also they have old molding in the house..should I pant it white or paint it in a pant faux color.





Any ideas on the two differnt colors would be ok to do that...and the molding.Paint faux idea for my living room?
I don't understand what you mean by faux colour. There are different paint techniques that are referred to as faux. I strongly suggest you do not paint the ceiling the colours you are thinking of..stick to off white for the ceilings or white if you really like that. Coloured ceilings will make the room dark and closed in feeling. If it is an old house, then the rooms probably do not have a lot of natural lighting, so a lighter colour (soft colours) on the wall will make the room brighter. I like trim, doors and ceilings in off white all the way throughout the home.Paint faux idea for my living room?
DO NOT paint the ceiling! Red is a very hard color to paint let alone trying to paint a ceiling. Have you ever painted a ceiling? It's one of the hardest things to do and requires a ceiling paint which is thicker so gravity won't have it drip and splatter all over the place. Ceilings are usually done with a spray gun.


As far as the colors go....red and green will make it look like Christmas. Get some paint sample color chips and tape them on the walls. Since it's an old house think about painting the bottom half a dark cranberry or any dark color even chocolate brown and the top half a lighter complimentary color and place a piece of molding on the wall for a chair rail. Place a piece of masking tape on the wall at different heights anywhere from 32';-40';and see what looks good for you. I have mine at 40';. Paint the all the molding white or off-white.


http://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualiz鈥?/a>


This site will show you the complimentary colors. Choose the middle bathroom in the second row since it has a chair rail.
I got this book at Safeway and it's pretty neat to lok thru and get painting ideas. You could see if they have it at you library





http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0鈥?/a>





ALSo check this out onbetter homes and gradens Faux painting http://www.bhg.com/decorating/paint/deco鈥?/a>
leave the ceiling white as it makes the room appear bigger plus puts more focus on the coloured wall. Try 2 limit urself to 1 faux feature wall per room. Im just about 2 do my room white with a red feature wall and another wall with blackboard paint its reallly fun and goes with everything!!
those sounds like really ugly colors. you should paint the ceilings and trims white and then just do the walls fun colors. this way you don't go overboard. an make sure the colors you chose for the walls go with your current decor unless you plan on buying new peices
I don't know about the colors you plan on using, sounds pretty wild (for me) But I do know that Green and Red Complement each other. The Molding I would paint High Gloss White. I'm not a painter but I have a good friend that is and when I painted my place he told me when I paint the Doors, Door Jams, Door Frame and Wall Base to use White High Gloss or Gloss White Exterior paint, it's more durable and it doesn't mark up as bad as interior paint, And he was right I have 4 grand kids and it holds up pretty well. My wife painted our bedroom with Faux it looks really nice the colors she used was: Base color - Cream White, First color Lavender and the second Color was Fuchsia girly colors but looks nice.


Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment