Monday, February 8, 2010

Faux painting help! Need to tone down gold.?

I painted a wall to look like leather. I used brown bags for texture and that turned out great. I used an off-white base followed by a medium brown glaze then a medium-dark brown glaze. The problem, I added ';a little'; (aka way too much) metallic gold to the first coat of glaze. I guess I didn't realize how much light the skylight lets into the room, but the walls now look copper.





I want the look of rich, dark brown leather, not pennies!!.





Please tell me what I can add to darken the walls a litle and tone down the gold. I've read to use a ';raw umber glaze'; but I am scared to randomly try someone's suggestion. Also, the texture will soon disappear under the primer and three or four layers of paint.





Thanks!!!!!Faux painting help! Need to tone down gold.?
Use a run of the mill brown shoe polish. Use small small amounts on a white cloth and rub in circular motions on the wall. If if appears too dark for your taste use another cloth to remove some of the product from the wall. If you are still unsure about the end result remember back when you used to put torn pieces of masking tape on a wine bottle and then rubbed it with shoe polish. That will be the effect you get on your wall. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment