Thursday, February 18, 2010

Murals and faux painting help!?

I will be looking for a job pretty soon and I would love to be in the painting/art industry since I'm good at it. (so I think) I been doing murals and faux painting on my own house I would love to try my luck out there but I'm so new to this place I would welling to be just apprentice/helper to a muralist or fauxpainters or maybe designer just to start until I found my calling eighter I survive doing this or have my own license.


I live in Issaqauah WA so please if anyone knows where to find them please please help me. Website or whatever lead I really appreciate it. Thank you





Any thought or suggestion are welcome.


Or if you are the interior faux and murals painter and need helper please give me shout here. Thank again!Murals and faux painting help!?
Ok......for mural practice get a couple of sheets of sheetrock from the hardware store. Prime them with regular house paint and practice (whole 4'X8' sheets to get used to the wall). The surface is different, literally sucks the vehicle out of paint at first, and requires adjustment in application. When you get the kind of appearance and scenes you want photograph them. Next, get someone, even your own folks, to allow you to paint a mural in their house somewhere, powder room, dining room, bedroom....whatever, then photograph it. You will now have at least three examples for your ';book.';


The public library will have some books on faux finishing that have really good step by step techniques for more professional finishes -not like the low end technique books from a hobby/craft store, more sophisticated finishes. STUDY STUDY STUDY....practice on 1' X 1' test panels cut from sheetrock (usually about 10 bucks for a 4'X8' sheet)- when you get really nice looking samples, bind the edges of the sheetrock to make them look neat and you have samples to show potential clients. Honestly if you work for someone else with the intention of becoming their competition theyre not going to be happy with that arrangement.


With the real estate market and general economy being so bad its actually a good time to learn. Be prepared for NO business for a while, but when things loosen up there will be lots of pent up energy in the market and you'll be ready to visit the area interior decorators to invite them to use you, the local home builders to fancy-up their model homes and so on.


Been there, done that, ask if you need other info.Murals and faux painting help!?
It is not easy to find work as an apprentice to a muralist since they guard their clients and their way of working very well. What i would do is look online for schools that teach Faux painting and they can get you into the field. Also the local home improvement stores can point you in the right direction. Just go to their paint department and ask if they know anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment