Thursday, February 18, 2010

I have a black wooden mirror that I want to paint or put a faux finish on. How would I go about doing this?

I would like it to not be so black and maybe could put an antique bronze glaze or something on it. I just have too much black furniture in my house as it is. I want to soften it up.I have a black wooden mirror that I want to paint or put a faux finish on. How would I go about doing this?
Prime the wood, give it a coat of a rusty flat red latex, then paint it with a bronze color.


Here is a great company that makes an amazing range of metallics...


http://www.modernmastersinc.com/product_鈥?/a>I have a black wooden mirror that I want to paint or put a faux finish on. How would I go about doing this?
Clean it (dust etc) then paint over it carefully with latex paint-probably a bronnze color as you say then get the crackle medium tin from the paint store and put that over the paint


i t will crackle and look great and really old
The best way is to take it apart and remove the glass first. That way you can work on the frame without the need for masking. You should first sand down the finish or strip it to make the new paint or stain adhere better. Putting a primer coat on first will help to ensure the black covers better. Also plan on putting multiple coats on in order to acheive your best color change.
Go to your local Home Depot store, inquire about techniques.


Cover the edges of the glass with masking tape before.


If Home Depot no help, try Michael's Craft courses.
If you sand it lightly and sponge on the glaze it will turn out nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment