Thursday, February 18, 2010

Faux finish paint on knock down (spanish lace)?

I painted the office in my house blue and I don't like it. I'm thinking maybe I'll try a faux finish over it with a darker blue but my walls are not smooth. What would be reasonably easy and look good?Faux finish paint on knock down (spanish lace)?
One of the latest techniques I've done is using 50% Luster Stone (in color of your choice) and 50% True Tint Stone from Faux Masters. Then you just brush it on in vertical strokes with a cheap old brush. It leaves a shimmering sandy finish, but looks beautiful like raw silk or linen. Everyone loved it, including all of the men that were working on the house (which I found interesting- because usually the construction workers don't have much respect for faux finishes). The Faux Masters products are rather expensive, so if cost is an issue, behr makes a texured paint for walls and ceilings with a sand finish that you could tint to your choice of color (or just paint over it- but its much easier to just tint it). You wouldn't have the beautiful shimmer that the Lusterstone gives though. So you could just buy a quart of Lusterstone and paint a thin watered down wash over the behr product. Then you wouldn't have to buy the TrueTintStone at all. The 2 gallon container of Behr is about $20 at Home Depot. This is my new favorite finish!Faux finish paint on knock down (spanish lace)?
look into a venetian plaster too. behr makes a synthetic plaster, so does modern masters. home depot, lowes and dunn edwards all carry synthetic plasters. it's hard to mess up. tint it any shade, and use a stainless steel trowel, applying 2-3 very thin coats. you can also trowel on a clear protective finish. it's a very subtle look, and the knockdown underneath it will give it an interesting look.
I did my living room in a lime wash and my hallway in a faux finish. I did it because as yourself my walls were not the best from the previous owners. It looks great when it's done, it is a bit more expensive because you need special primer etc. that goes with the faux paint. You need a special brush to make the design you want. It is a great idea to cover the walls however make sure you want to do it, because it's harder to change THAT type of paint after you do it. Try the lime wash first to lighten it up, so it looks like clouds etc. It's less expensive and you can get the look you desire. Practice first on cardboard or something but guaranteed you will like it. Go to Lowes, they have samples of what both will look like..GOOD LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment