Thursday, February 18, 2010

I have plywood floors in our cabin,I want to faux paint the floors to look like finished planks.Need help!?

I have faux painted my walls to look like logs, I am sure someone can help me figure out how to faux paint the floors to look like planks and save alot of money that I don't have.I have plywood floors in our cabin,I want to faux paint the floors to look like finished planks.Need help!?
You can do it, it is timely, but you can do it. Try finding a pattern you like, I copied mine from some contact paper that had a wood plank grain. A cheaper and easier alternative is the snap together hardwood, or laminate flooring you can buy and install yourself cheaply and easily. Laminate goes for as low as .90 cents per square foot, and hardwoods start as low as $1.30 per square foot. Cheap when you consider the amount of work that hand painting faux wood surfaces can take. Not to mention walls don't receive much wear, so a painted faux surface can last for years. Painting faux wood on floors will not last long, perhaps months or days. Laminate flooring is guaranteed against visible wear for years. Cheap, and easy, just like me.I have plywood floors in our cabin,I want to faux paint the floors to look like finished planks.Need help!?
I saw this done in a magazine once, can't remember which. They drew floor planks on the plywood with a permanent marker. They staggered them and even drew dots where the nails would be on real planks. They said that if you wanted, to fill in real nail holes in with wood putty and smooth. Then they beat up the plywood by dropping things on it, hit it with a hammer, just generally roughed it up to look like an old floor. Then they put several layers of polyurethane on it, drying 24 hrs. between coats. It really looked good!
if you mix a little paint thinner in wiyh your stain, it will give the appearance of woodgrain.
Try www.HGTV.com and the diy network - I'm pretty sure I've seen instructions for using plywood and routing the grooves so it'll look like hardwoods/plank flooring.

No comments:

Post a Comment