Thursday, February 18, 2010

I have a red walls in my guest bath, how should I paint it with a faux finish?

My bath has red walls (Sherwin Williams Red Bay, Satin). I would like to have the overall effect of red walls, but I would like to add some interest to the walls with a faux finish, using the Red Bay color as a basecoat. Any suggestions on what to do from here???I have a red walls in my guest bath, how should I paint it with a faux finish?
Glaze over it with burnt umber to create a leather affect. I just did this on the ceiling of my family room. Staple plastic bags over a roller leaving many wrinkles for interest. Mix a glaze of one part water, one part acylic or latex paint and one part Floetrol (available at the home improvement stores in the paint aisle.) Dip the roller in and allow excess to drip off. Roll onto the walls in an erratic pattern. Allow to dry and viola, a wonderful look of old leather.





Another technique I have used over red is to rag antique gold over it. In the old days, European artisans gold leafed over a red base on moldings, plaster and walls. You can create the same effect by ragging gold over your red. It is particularly nice in bathrooms and gives a real jewel box affect.I have a red walls in my guest bath, how should I paint it with a faux finish?
Use liquid sand to remove the shine, then apply your finish with a sponge roller for this purpose, after your finish drys cover ever thing with a clear gloss coat to seal and protect the paint and walls from the wet conditions that exist in the room.
i would say do the leather effect with the burnt umber also. Another suggestion is to use silver or white to either do a light wash (use a flexible 10 or 12'; drywall taping knife or wide paint edging pad to apply the paint mixed with glaze to the red walls) or stencil some BIG BOLD repeating pattern on your walls and paint white on your trim and door.

No comments:

Post a Comment